NIT was established in 1975 as a training wing of the then National Transport Corporation (NTC). NIT was charged with the responsibility of strengthening human resource capabilities of transport operatives and middle level managers of subsidiary companies of NTC. These subsidiary companies were: National Bus Services Limited (KAMATA), Usafiri Dar es Salaam Limited (UDA), Regional Transport Companies (RETCOs) etc.
In 1982, it was realised that there was a need to have an institute that trains experts in all modes of transport, thus the Institute expanded its area of activities and responsibilities. As a result, NIT was re– established through NIT Act No. 24 of 1982 as an autonomous higher learning institution under the then Ministry of Communications and Works. It came into operation on 1 July, 1983 through the Government Notice No 91. Currently, the Institute is under the Ministry of Transport.
The Institute obtained a full registration status with the National Council for Technical Education (NACTE). The National Institute of Transport is the only such training institute in sub-Sahara excluding South Africa, mandated by the Government of the United Republic of Tanzania to offer training in transport and communications and related disciplines.
To conduct flexible and sustainable highquality Education and Training, Research and Consultancy in Logistics and Transport Technology.
To be a Regional Centre of Excellence in Logistics and Transport Technology.
In pursuit of its mission, NIT is guided by the following values; Team work, Customer oriented, Professionalism, Novelty Excellence and Good Governance. The courses that are being offered at NIT are:
- Master of Business Administration- Logistics and Transport Management (MBA-LTM), in collaboration with Open University of Tanzania.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Air Transport Management ( PGDATM )
- Post Graduate Diploma in Logistics and Transiport Management ( PGDLTM)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Travel and Tourism Management (PGDLTM)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Shipping and Port Management (PGDSPM)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Procurement and Logistics Management PGDPLM)
- Bachelor Degree in Logistic and Transport Management (BLTM)
- Bachelor Degree in Automobile Engineering (BAE)
- Bachelor Degree in Procurement and Logistics Management
- Diploma in Logistics and Transport Management (DLTM)
- Diploma in Freight Clearing and Forwarding (DFCF)
- Diploma in Automobile Engineering (DAE)
- Diploma in Computing and Information Technology (DCIT)
- Diploma in Mechanical Engineering (DME)
- Diploma in Procurement and Logistics Management (DPLM)
- Diploma in Human Resource Management (DHRM)
- Certificate in Logistics and Transport Management Management (BCLTM)
- Certificate in Freight Clearing and Forwarding BCFCF)
- Certificate in Automobile Engineering (BCAE)
- Certificate in Computing and Information Communication Technology (BCICT)
- Certificate in Mechanical Engineering (BCME)
- Certificate in Procurement and Logistics Management (BCPLM)
- Certificate in Human Resources Management (BCHRM)
Certificate in Business Administration (BCBA) NIT in collaboration with the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (CILT) of United Kingdom, offers international professional programmes:
- International Introductory Certificate in Logistics and Transport
- International Certificate in Logistics and Transport
- International Diploma in Logistics and Transport
- International Advanced Diploma in Logistics and Transport
The Institute also organises and coordinates short courses on professional driving, which includes VIP driving, PSV driving, Industrial driving and Driver Instructors. Other short courses are: Vehicle Inspection and Driver Examination, Transport Management and Vehicle Repairs and Maintenance. Under Research and Consultancy services, NIT has qualified staff who are involved in conducting research projects and consultancy services mainly within the communications, logistics and transport sector.
Institute will soon start offering the following courses:
- Postgraduate Diploma in Transport Economics
- Postgraduate Diploma in RailwaysTransport Management
- Postgraduate Diploma in road Transport Safety and Management
- Postgraduate Diploma in Transportation Engineering
- Postgradute Diploma in Humanitarian Logistics